Warning:

Today's post(s) may contain graphic (some might say "intimate") descriptions of events (and anatomy), and may not be suitable for all readers. Some things, once known, cannot be un-known ;P

New Readers: This blog is funniest (totally biased opinion) if read from earliest to most recent post - so start at the bottom! And please "follow" if you like it!

Wednesday 5 October 2011

A Few of My Favourite Things: Ladies Only

This post is mommi-related in that all mommi's are short on time.  So here are a few things that save time or allow me to multi-task or just save sanity.

1. Shellac Manicures: Most mommis I now have the same affliction I do - we are unable to keep nail polish on for longer than an hour.  Let's face it: with all that picking up of toys and scrubbing bottles and bathing babies...regular polish doesn't stand a chance.  And fake nails are trashy.  Sorry!  Just my opinion, but in this case, my opinion is the right one :P  So, mommis need Shellac.  It goes on like polish, but gets cured with a UV light in between coats, and is guaranteed to last without chipping, peeling, or fading for 10 days!  I have found it to last even longer than that, but then you still get grow out, so you need to change it up about every 2 weeks.  There is no buffing and grinding involved, so your nails aren't damaged, and actually do grow long and healthy from it.  Except I also believe long nails are trashy, too ;)  So get them trimmed and stop scratching you kid accidentally.  If you're in the Hamilton area, get in touch with my nail lady!  Peri-Lynn of Comforts Time to Spa: 905 387 4490 or peri-lynnh@hotmail.com.  I don't even know what her regular rates are because she ALWAYS has specials, so it usually costs $20 and includes the removal at the end of your 2 weeks.  I also see her for eyebrow waxing, and other parts - just not you-know-where, because she's old-school and doesn't go "all the way".  If you know what I mean.  Oh, and when you get your Shellac, please don't get nail art - also trashy, by Accidental Supermommi standards :P  Please tell her I sent you!  If you are not nearby, there are lots of Spas that are now offering Shellac - just make sure it's actually the CND Shellac brand every step of the way.  There are some places that cut corners and you'll end up having to have that sh!t ground off your poor, thin, and brittle nails, leaving nothing but ultra-sensitive tips that are just waiting to tear :S

2. Brazilian Blowouts: This has nothing to do with my crotch.  It's for the hair on your head.  Brazilian Blowouts are highly controversial because of alleged formaldehyde content, so do your research and decide what's right for you.  But they do offer a formaldehyde-free line.  It is not a straightening treatment; if you have curls or waves, your hair will still be curly or wavy - but it will not be FRIZZY.  Even in high humidity or after getting caught in the rain.  It dramatically reduces your blowdrying time (I went from 30minutes to 15minutes - and that's still doing a good job, with a round brush - a basic dry takes like 5 minutes), and minimizes the amount of processes or products you need to use.  For example, before my Brazilian Blowout, if I blowdried my hair with a round brush, it would look great...for about 5 minutes, until it started to pouf and frizz.  I'd have to then use a flat iron to really get it to stay nice.  But now I can get away with one or the other.  WIN!  It also just feels nicer and looks shinier.  Because it is.  The way it works is: the stylist washes your hair with some sort of clarifying shampoo, then rough dries it, the applies the Brazilian Blowout solution like she would colour, then rough dries it with the product in (Ew), then flat irons it to seal it into your hair's cuticle, then washes it out and dries it for good.  The whole thing takes 90 minutes and is guaranteed to last 6 weeks, but my stylist says most of her clients only do it every 6 months!  I am on month 4 and am still going strong :)  In the Toronto area, contact Rachelle at 416 899 1487 or whitewindbear@hotmail.com.

3. PVR: I don't think I need to go into detail o this one.  Mommis often don't get to watch what they want, when they want - either because it is not appropriate viewing for a child, said child dictates what shows will be viewed at all times in a Hitler-esque manner (Mighty Machines, always - or "Bazines", as my son calls it), or you are just too effing tired to stay up to watch anything past your child's bedtime.  For me, it is all of the above.  So, record your faves, and watch them in 5 minutes increments, whenever you get the time :)  This was particularly life-saving when my son was tiny and liked to feed around the clock; there's not much worth watching on at 4am, I tell you.

4. Smartphone: Preferably, a Blackberry.  I expanded on this in another post, so won't here, but the ability to instant message, email, call, surf, look up essential phone numbers (Telehealth :S), manage your appointments, stay abreast of social networking news, take and share photos of your little monster (I mean angel), and yes, play full episodes of Mighty Machines is absolutely priceless.

That's all for now.  A rather meaningless post, but I am home sick today and am sweating with this laptop on my lap, and just want to curl up and die.  Virus, courtesy of daycare, of course :S  Anyhow, I thought sharing a few of my favourite things would make me feel better, but it only hurt my eyes.  Hope it helps you! :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree with all of this, but I have yet to try a Brazilian Blowout. How much was it to get done with the formaldehyde-free line? (or did you do the supposed formaldehyde one?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! Important information :) In salons you pay upwards of $500 :o But if you go to Rachelle (or have her come to you, in the GTA), she charges between $150 and $250, depending on length and thickness. Mine was $200. So worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - ugh, sorry - I'm so scatterbrained today! There wasn't a price difference between the regular and the Zero line. And I also bought the aftercare shampoo and conditioner, which was expensive, but I think helps prolong the treatment. The nice thing is, the effect just kind of wears off, so it's not like you have a line of new growth or anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and i thought you had a new post...

    ReplyDelete