Warning:

Today's post(s) may contain graphic (some might say "intimate") descriptions of events (and anatomy), and may not be suitable for all readers. Some things, once known, cannot be un-known ;P

New Readers: This blog is funniest (totally biased opinion) if read from earliest to most recent post - so start at the bottom! And please "follow" if you like it!

Monday 2 May 2011

Fisting. And Midwives. And Indian Rug Burns.

One of the first considerations a pregnant woman has to give is to whether she'd prefer the care of her family doctor, an obstetrician, or a midwife.  My only baby-having experience had been with horses, which sounds strange, but I had witnessed and assisted several equine births (and conceptions, but that is anther story, and totally unrelated), and sort of figured, if they can do it, so can I - so the natural approach appealed to me, and I was (am) also a devotee of homeopathy and naturopathy...but I'm not a Birkenstock-wearing, armpit hair-growing, hippie-type either - I have fake boobs, for God's sake!  But a very materialistic friend of mine (teehee - we'll see if she reads my blog now - she'll know I'm talking about her :)) had used a midwife for her second baby (not with her first), and highly recommended it.  Like me, she had a bad fall while pregnant, and her midwife had gone to meet her at Emergency and stayed with her while she waited, because she was frightened and upset.  That sounded above and beyond, and I knew I wouldn't get that kind of care from my GP (not that she wouldn't want to! I just know her schedule and commitment to other patients would never allow it.)

If you do choose a midwife, the first thing you have to do is call to see if they are accepting patients with your due date.  They only take on a certain number at that time, because they assign you a primary midwife and a secondary midwife, so that they can guarantee you that one of them will be at your birth.  Luckily, Burlington and Area Midwives was able to take me.  I went for a consultation, and was quickly won over by them.  I will admit, the fact that the midwife who was to be my primary was young, cute, and "normal" looking helped a lot!  But so did learning that midwifery services were covered for Canadians, that I didn't have to have a home birth (that was never a consideration for me - hospital all the way!), and that I could still have an epidural if I wanted.  They see you at the same frequency as a doctor would, and send you for the same tests and ultrasounds.  But they also do a home visit, to familiarize themselves with your home, should you choose a home birth, should you have one by accident, and for after-care - because they do your post-natal care in your home after you have the baby - a definite perk!  You alternate between your primary and secondary midwife each visit that you have, so that you are equally familiar with both.  And you get to call/page them at anytime, if you have any concerns (I called them the Super Bowl Stones night :s) - which is very reassuring.

As it happened, my primary midwife had her own baby early, and wasn't there for my birth, but my secondary was, and she was great.  A third midwife attended my birth as an assistant, so I still had totally dedicated care.  If you have a doctor for your prenatal care, they make every effort to attend your birth, but very often it just doesn't happen.  It's the nurses at the hospital who care for you throughout your labour - right up until the push!  Dont' get me wrong: the nurses are great!  But I liked knowing someone I knew, and who was familiar with my birthing plan, was going to be there with me.

Here's another thing about midwives. I'm not sure if this will be a selling point, though...  They fist you.  Yep.  Exactly how you're thinking.  It's called a "stretch and sweep", but that doesn't really convey it's true nature.  Once you are past 36 weeks, they offer you this service, which is supposed to stimulate your cervix, and help prepare it and encourage labour to begin naturally.  I have mentioned the desperation of the very-pregnant woman to get that baby out...so this is appealing!  But it is anything but.

Basically, the midwife shoves their fist up there and "massages" your cervix - except I'd never had a massage that made me bleed before.  And I'd never had a massage that made me grip the table, sweat, and cry before.  But now I've had two!  And neither worked!  However, I have friends who have endured them, as well, and who went into labour that night.  If it works, it's worth it.  If it doesn't...oh man...:s

Midwives also talk to you about "perineal massage", which is supposed to reduce the likelihood of needing an episiotomy, or the severity of tearing.  Of your vag.  So this is important!  They essentially tell you to get your "partner" (I use quotation marks because you should at this point see how un-partner-like my partner was) to massage your perineum (in guys, the area commonly known as the "taint" - t'ain't your ass and t'ain't your balls) with olive oil - but so hard it feels like an Indian Rug Burn!  You want me to do that WHERE??  Needless to say, my "partner" did not do this, and I couldn't bring myself to inflict that kind of pain on my nether regions - if it was even possible - sounds to me like self perineal massage at 36 weeks pregnant might involve some contortionistic abilities.  The new and sealed bottle of olive oil (extra virgin - hehe - get it?) didn't go to waste, though...they ask you to take it to the hospital, where my midwife did use it on me, but sadly, to no avail: I required TWO episiotomies out the back and I tore up the front! :o


What is my point?  Not sure...take it for what you will.  Some people swear by the stretch and sweep, and others have had better success with the perineal massage, too.  I do still strongly recommend midwives, though :)

What are your thoughts?  Have you/will you use a midwife or a doctor?  Experience with fisting - ahem: the stretch and sweep - or perineal massage, or any other such practices?

8 comments:

  1. The fisting is terrible, and really they should call it fisting. It did not work forme at all. I am the 'materialistic' friend apparently, and having been through a natural labour with an ob-gyn, and then a csection with a midwife, I can honestly say I would never consider an ob-gyn by choice. Midwives are amazing. When I was in labour with my first, I had two different nurses tending to me because there was a shift change. When I had my csection, my midwife was with me before, during and after which was a huge comfort to me because am terrified of needles and when they gave me the spinal, my husband was not allowed in the room. Instead, my midwife was there comforting me and holding my hand (being far more comforting than my husband is capable of being!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a ton of other reasons why a wife is better than an ob-gyn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in MY personal experience (I too had the privilege of experiencing an all natural birth with the wonderful guidance of a midwife), I would not have called it "fisting". Yes, it was uncomfortable, and yes I had it done twice but I would called it less fist and more finger. I went into labour 36 hours later...so I am not sure if it helped or not. My midwife, whom in my humble opinion should be inducting into the "Midwife Hall of Fame" was reassuringly descriptive during the procedure but distractingly talkative about other things too. Yes, I bled quite a bit too. I did not have the perineal massage....so I cannot comment there. But I will say that I delivered a near 10 lb baby in less than 3 hours without a single tear (granted I did have one small stitch to stop some minor internal bleeding).

    I would not go through that experience again without my midwife! I feel that she was the biggest reason that I had a good experience and will do it again as soon as my husband agrees! Apparently he remembers more that I do! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had midwives, and of course, they are the far better choice if you have the choice. My midwife offered me the stretch and sweep because I was enormous and 2 days past due, but when she checked me, my baby was still not "dropped" so she declined saying it is dangerous to induce labour if the baby is not ready. Given the way you describe it, I'm glad it didn't happen!! In the end I ended up having a C-section as well, so it would have been for nothing. But even though it wasn't my midwife doing the c-section, I am so glad she was there to communicate between me and doctor and to come to the hospital and my home for the after care visits and help with breastfeeding.
    Many people think that midwives are completely detached from western medicine and that scares them away. I would say that is not true at all, they work closely with the people at the hospital (because like supermommi some choose to birth there, and like me, some need c-sections) and they do not frown on you if you want pain medication. In fact my midwife told me that for some labours they suggest it. Its not that "medicine is bad!", it's that they believe that sometimes its not necessary, and other times it is. Yay midwives!
    PS: UHHH yeeaaaa!!! Perineal massage on yourself anytime ast 7 months is basically impossible. My bottle of olive oil was also unopened until this week, when I cooked some Kale and Zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this Anonymity is getting confusing ;) I'm pretty sure I've got the first (and second) Anonymous pegged, as well as the third, but the fourth reamins a mystery... Thanks for sharing, though, ladies!

    First/Second Anonymous: I know you love it when I call you materialistic :P When I say it, it's a compliment! That's the truth.

    Third Anonymous: Holy crap - ONE STITCH?? If you are who I think you are, you are a horse-girl, like me, and my midwife said she's found riders to have especially tough perineums - whihc is why I needed to be cut - twice :S Lucky you! That's impressive!

    Fourth Anonymous: I don't know why I find your olive oil reference so funny - but I do! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you I found it funny also. anyways, I am no longer anonymous, it's Adrie's sister!! I posted all my comments in one big heap on may 3rd, so you don't have to wonder!
    And yes, I love your blog. I sent it to my friend who also just had a baby a week before me, so hopefully she gets in on the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Leandra! Although we've never met, Adrie has told me about you, and I have seen photos of your munchkin - super cute! Thanks for your contributions - and for the promotion! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I induced my 1st labor by "fisting" or sticking large wide objects up there to strech & prepare for child birth, I lost my mucus plug & went into labor 4 days later. My 2nd pregnancy, the same. Although this time I had a bloody show & it hasnt done much for me. Im passed 40 weeks & the midwives want to induce. Even though Im seen by midwives Ive never been offered "fisting" or a "strech & sweep", we havent even talked about it. Maybe they get the gist I do it myself. My husband refuses to fist me though:-(

    ReplyDelete