Warning:

Today's post(s) may contain graphic (some might say "intimate") descriptions of events (and anatomy), and may not be suitable for all readers. Some things, once known, cannot be un-known ;P

New Readers: This blog is funniest (totally biased opinion) if read from earliest to most recent post - so start at the bottom! And please "follow" if you like it!

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Go the F**k to Sleep

Man, I wish I had written this book!  Now that I've actually had the baby (in blog-time, I mean), many of my posts will be devoted to the woes of sleep deprivation, and "Go the F**k to Sleep", by Adam Mansbach, sounds like it captures the spirit of my anguish and desperation just perfectly!  I say "sounds like" because I haven't actually read it; it isn't being released until June 14, 2011 (on Amazon, anyway - the article I'm about to link to says October 11, but maybe that was its anticipated release date for last year?  I dunno, but check out the link below to get a little taste of the book.

Note: If the title didn't tip you off (come on: we know it's wrong, but who DOESN'T find it slightly hilarious and adorable when their toddler drops an F-bomb?), this is a book for Mommies (and Daddies, and Aunties, and anyone who has suffered through ongoing failed bedtime attempts), not for the kiddies!

I just pre-ordered four copies from Amazon, and I think you should, too :D  Wait - maybe you shouldn't, because three of my four are intended as gifts for sleep-deprived or sleep-frustrated friends ;)

http://moms.today.com/_news/2011/04/26/6534646-want-another-bedtime-story-sweetie-heres-one-go-the-fk-to-sleep

On another note, I also ordered the following Board Books for Avery, on the recommendation of a friend (I'm soooo sick of reading the same few every single day!!!  But glad he finally likes reading (well, me reading) - he was late in developing the patience to sit through a book, when there are so many more exciting things to do (running, biting, wrecking stuff, endangering one's life...). 

Mommy's Best Kisses
Duck in the Truck ($1 right now on Amazon!!)
The Gruffalo
The Mixed Up Chameleon
Hippos Go Berserk
Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs
Snuggle Puppy
Goodnight Moon
Where's Spot
Just Go to Bed
Little Blue Truck

What books do you love for your babies?  And do you go the Board Book route, or the cheaper, but more destructible, paperback format?

5 comments:

  1. I find that hilarious because I can't even count how many times I've said "go the f**k to sleep", not necessarily directly to my daughter, but to others while I complained. It's like "if you're so goddamned tired, stop crying and go the f**k to sleep." I know you feel me.
    I was one of the lucky ones, she loved books as soon as I started reading them to her around 1 month. She likes the board books and also the plastic ones with foam inside and squeaky things, so she can chew on them. Her all time fav though are the cloth books with plastic inside that crinkle when she eats them. A couple other books that she lives for the amazing drawings are “The snuggliest snuggle in the world”, “Rumble in the Jungle” and just for education’s sake “Malcolm X: A Fire Burning Brightly”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accidental Supermommi3 June 2011 at 15:08

    A friend sent me a .pdf file of "Go the F**k to Sleep", and it's every bit as good as I'd hoped! I was trying to figure out how to share it here, but was unsuccessful :( But it's going around the email circuit, so I'm sure it will get to all of you soon enough! There are some classic lines in it, for sure. I read it at work and actually laughed out loud several times - people were looking at me - it was weird. Whether you've read the illicit preview or not, still buy the book! It's author deserves to profit from his work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accidental Supermommi20 July 2011 at 21:39

    Just an update: I received my FOUR copies of GTFTS and LOVE it!!! I mean, it's not liek I read it every night or anything...in fact, knock on wood - my kid's problem has never been GOING to sleep, but STAYING asleep...but still, I can appreciate the humour and frustration. As I mentioned, I plan to give 3 to friends, and FOLLOWERS count as friends, so...who wants one? Share your maddening bedtime experiences here - the more pathetic, the better - worst case wins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying for a copy of this book. It looks so hilarious (ps. have you heard the video of Samuel Jackson reading it?!).

    Norelle is generally a really good sleeper at night (not so much napping, she allllways calls for me, or finds excuses that she thinks will get her out of bed!). That being said, she HATES going to bed when we have people over; she always thinks she'll be missing something. She cries all the way upstairs, saying how she "misses her friends, grandma, grandpa, etc." whoever is over, and cries out for so long after we put her down. Sometimes she gets so worked up, we have to get her out of bed to calm her down! She's even a clever little bugger... and at times will peak out of her window and check what cars are outside, and will call out to us asking to come and see whoever's car she sees; often making a liar out of us, since we always tell her its not them!

    I get it, she's a May 24 baby and all, always wanting to party, but seriously, we need some non-mommy & daddy time with our friends!

    There are so many people who judge this book, but seriously, it's not a parenting manual, it's written in good fun, and if it helps a parent get a laugh out of their sleeping woe's, than great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Accidental Supermommi9 August 2011 at 10:36

    Well, Norelle & Company - Looks like you are our winner! But your story is cute, so I'm sure you would have had a good chance even if there had been any competition ;) I will contact you privately to arrange delivery of your copy of Go The F**k to Sleep!

    ReplyDelete